What to documents to Bring to a Tax Appointment
Bring all documents below.
- Photo ID
- Social Security Cards, Social Security Number verification letters, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number assignment letters for you, your spouse, and any dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return
- Bank account and routing number or a voided check for direct deposit of your refund
- 2020 and 2021 tax return, if you have them
Bring all documents that apply.
- W-2 form(s) for all jobs last year (your employer(s) will have sent you this by January 31st)
- 1099-NEC and/or 1099-K
- Records of income not reported on 1099 forms
- Records of expenses including receipts, credit statements, etc.
- Record of estimated tax payments
- SSA-1099 form for Social Security benefits
- 1099-R for pension/IRA/annuity income
- 1099-G for unemployment benefits
Other sources of income
- 1099-G for refund of state/local income taxes
- 1098-T for scholarships/fellowships
- 1099-R for disability income
- Income or loss from the sale of stocks, bonds, or real estate
- Income or loss from rental property
- Alimony received
- Statements for prizes or lottery/gambling winnings
- Interest and dividend statements from banks
- Records for any other income
Maximize your savings by claiming eligible tax deductions! Documentation of the following expenses may help reduce the taxable income that you are liable for. Ensure to bring all relevant paperwork as proof when filing taxes.
- Retirement contributions, including a 401(k) or IRA
- State and local taxes you’ve paid
- Mortgage statements and property tax bills if you are a homeowner
- College tuition (1098-T) and student loan statements (Form 1098-E)
- Childcare expenses, including payment records or receipts and provider’s name, address, and federal tax ID number (either their Social Security Number or Employment Identification Number)
- Receipts for charitable donations
- Medical and dental bills
- Records for supplies used as an educator
Being prepared for your tax appointment will help the process go smoothly and help you get the most out of your meeting with your tax professional. Be sure to bring all relevant personal documents, income records, and proof of expenses. If you have any questions about what documents to bring or what expenses you can claim, don’t hesitate to give us a call at 203 591 1739 ext 115 . Our team at American Financial Solutions is here to help make filing your taxes as easy as possible. Give us a call today at 203 591 1739 ext 115 to schedule an appointment at our Waterbury office.